Monday, September 29, 2008

The age of innocence.....

Like most parents I find myself in awe of my child at times. There are times I am in awe at the stupid things she does, but most the time I am in awe at how smart and sensitive she can be.

For instance we were watching the presidential debate on Friday. I was explaining to her who each person was and that one of them would be our next president. I told her that if Obama wins, he would be the first president with dark skin. Of course she asks why so we go into the discussion of Dr. Luther King as she calls him and how some people just don't like people because of the color of their skin.

We keep watching and after a few minutes I look over and she is crying. I ask her what is wrong and she tells me that she is sad. I ask why and she said "there are people out there who don't like Ella"

Ella is her cousin who she loves dearly. I tell her yes, that there are people out there who hate people because of how they look. And it's important that we never feel this way....What an eye opener for me, that kids aren't born to hate. They are taught. It's my wish that Salem always keeps her innocence when it comes to racism.

11 comments:

Megan and Jon said...

Oh Litte Say is such a tender hearted sweet thing, I hope she never grows out of it as well.

Doin' It Digital (Shannon C.) said...

Oh, so sweet! And Ella is darling! Salem is so cute. Did I tell you she wants to spell her name like this: Saelem? She told me that a couple of days ago. :)

Megan and Jon said...

I need to dig out EManual Lewis for her.. he he haha

Becca said...

What a sweet little girl!

Jessica said...

Your little salem breaks my heart with her tender little thoughts!

GINGERSPICE said...

That is the sweetest story! How tender hearted for her to think of her cousin.... I think sometimes when you have these moments with children it gives us a glimpse of the Savior's feelings. Is it any wonder He asks us to become as a little child....

She is so sweet! Thank you for sharing this story with us Chaney. Don't stop blogging because of the drama you went through recently. There are those of us who adore you and the things that you write. We KNOW you and LOVE you for all the words that come out of your mouth!

The Todds said...

That is so sweet! She is such a good girl! It is amazing how kids think sometimes!

Heather Whitehead said...

That is the sweetest little story! Salem is such a sweetheart. I'm glad your back to blogging.

Megan and Jon said...

Chan, don't you dare come threaten me on my blog with porch deliveries. You hear me? Just because I have had a child and might wet myself doing it, does not me I can't pin you down and throw a vice grip leg hold one you. DON"T MAKE ME DO IT...

The threat was just belong the belt. BELOW I tell ya..

Love you

Megan and Jon said...

Crap I have alot to say this time. I got so busy with the threat I forgot why I came.. did you see Calorie is having a baby.. YEP pregers..

Chad and Oléa Gough Family said...

What a sweet spirit your daughter has! And a great mother too! Way to take adavantage of a wonderful teaching moment!!