Thursday, April 24, 2008

Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten!

Today was Salem's kindergarten program. I was going to take pictures and write something cute about how much she has learned. What Salem has learned has nothing to do with the ABC's, Salem has learned compassion and acceptance and to me that is the greatest lesson of all. Let me explain, Salem has been begging me for months to let her have Jon over to play. I'm just not all that into inviting kids over that I really don't know, I know not a nice mom.

So after the program Salem wanted me to meet Jon so I would know who he was and I could ask him mom if he could play. I met Jon and my heart melted, Jon is a little down syndrome boy in her class. Jon's mom Jenny came over and told me that Jon just loves Salem and that Salem has been so nice to him. It took everything I had to get out of the school without crying. So if having Jon as a friend is the only thing Salem learned in Kindergarten then I will say it's been a school year well spent.

So Jon came over to play. We found out that he loves movies especially Toy Story. So we popped some popcorn and had movie time. Hopefully Jon will be a friend that we have for a long time.


8 comments:

Doin' It Digital (Shannon C.) said...

That is awesome and I am crying for you! He is such a cute kid and so is Salem. Oooh, sweet!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I have tears in my eyes right now. What a sweetheart of a daughter you both have raised. I hope her and Jon can be friends forever!!! You know that she will learn so much from him, as you & I learned from Jane & Reggie. Great Job!!! Children are amazing to me.

Chan said...

That is exactly what I thought, I know we all loved Jane & Reggie and for Salem to have someone like that in her life is wonderful! As a parent you wonder if you are doing a good job raising your kids and when I saw Salem treating Jon just like any other kid I realize that probably the most important thing is to teach our kids that everyone is different that is okay!

Janette said...

That is so neat. What a great friend they'll find in each other, how sweet. The Christensen's, yes, they're great friends of ours. We lived by them for a couple years, love um!

Denise said...

That's awesome. Salem is a sweet heart. He's a cute little boy too. Have you read The Memory Keeper's Daughter? Makes you see how far we've come as a society when it comes to Down Syndrome.

Megan and Jon said...

Say was telling me about him this weekend, She said noone will play with him but I do we are friend.. Melt my heart. I know it corny and you will tease me but I often pray that I will be able to see others with the eyes of a child. To forgive as easily as they do and to see the good in all people as easily as they do. Say reminded us all of that. I love her... And I should say because it is still one of my favorite memories ever...

I LUB YOU REBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..............

Heather Whitehead said...

Ok so i think that has to be the sweetest thing ever WOW! Salem is such a sweetheart and that little boy is so cute! How's everything goin? I miss ya

GINGERSPICE said...

Oh My Gosh Chaney,
That story brought me to tears! What a true angel that someone so young could see his true spirit. This really is an amazing little story. Thank you for posting the pics and sharing!
I go to my Doctor next Monday so I'll know the exact due date :) I am excited.
Lisa has been amazing and I'm so grateful you referred me to her, I know they will be a great asset to this project.
Let's try and get together soon.
Love,
Ginger